Saturday, July 30, 2011

An Experiment in Baking: The Making of Rutty's Birthday Cake

Ellery (AKA Rutty of House of Ten fame) turned 35 a couple of days ago,  July 28th to be exact.  In celebration of his birthday, we are going to Langley for a birthday barbecue.  My contribution to this most special event is a birthday cake... from scratch! But this is no ordinary birthday cake, this one was inspired by the Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookie!  The magic began at 7:00 AM this morning.

I started with a chocolate chip cookie dough, the recipe from the back of the Chipits bag.


Then a layer of Oreos which were covered with another layer of chocolate chip cookie dough.


Into the oven until it looked like this...


The next part of this magical cake was the Super Chocolate Cake layers.  Recipe from one of the Best of Bridge books I had kicking around.  I went with this recipe because it claimed to be super.  Let's hope it is.


I poured the batter into two pans to make two thin cake layers and baked it.


Next I made Peanut Butter Buttercream frosting for the layers and the crumb coat.  As I am not a baker, my kitchen lacks the appropriate tools such as a proper spatula and rotating cake stand.  I used a short little spatula for spreading cream cheese on bagels to apply the crumb coat.  In lieu of a cake stand I flipped a cereal bowl upside down and placed a cardboard circle covered with tin foil on top and put my cake layers on that.  Very professional.


My rough crumb coat of peanut butter buttercream.  
Emphasis on rough.


This is the chocolate buttercream for the final finish.


Ta-da!  The finished cake!  I hope it's yummy.... 
I hope.



UPDATE!

Rutty's cake aflame with 35 candles.


The birthday boy blowing out the candles.  
Good thing he's not asthmatic.


The cake cut up revealing the layers of goodness.  
It was super sweet.  The slices had to be really thin.

1 comment: