Monday, February 14, 2011

Nibbler!

My friend Tyler and his girlfriend, Leslie, are huge Futurama fans.  They have a vast collection of Futurama toys and the one character they had trouble finding a toy of was Nibbler.  Last August, they asked me if I could make them a Nibbler and I eagerly accepted the challenge.  Since they didn't give me a due date, I forgot about it.  Then in December Tyler asked if I could make it for Christmas but I was too busy to fit it in the schedule.  Feeling like I let him down, I told him I could make it for Valentine's Day.  So in mid January I started working on this guy and found myself overwhelmed trying to get his face on model.  The last thing I wanted was a wonk-faced Nibbler and I really thought I bit off more than I could chew taking this on.  I frogged and re-started his head a few times and I was ready to give up despite Nugget and Rutty's encouragement.  I set it aside for a couple of days and dreaded having to go back to it.  Making a three-dimensional object from limited two-dimensional reference is a pain in the ass.  With the Valentine's deadline looming, I finally sucked it up and just did it and he turned out better than I thought.  He's actually one of my favourites now and one of the most satisfying projects to finish.

 
His diaper is made of white felt and his cape is repurposed red cotton fabric from one of Nugget's old shirts.


And at the last minute I made him a lump of dark matter poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment