Saturday, January 29, 2011

Valentine Swap!

I'm discovering that preparing for Valentine's Day brings about the same level of anxiety as Christmas does and demands nearly the same amount of organization.  There are Etsy orders and Valentine's commissions to finish and Valentine's cards to make for Nugget's class.  Nugget is making the actual cards herself but I'm helping with one of the elements.  Because Nugget's Valentine's project can be done at the last minute, her stuff, unfortunately, gets bumped down to the bottom of the list.  
Sorry baby.

The projects that have to travel the furthest get first priority so I spent the afternoon putting my handmade Valentines together for the Valentine Swap I signed up for.  They need to be mailed next week in order to arrive to their designated recipients by February 14th.

I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do.  Last week I found this free pattern for crocheted hearts on Planet June, made a donation (because it's good to support fellow artists) and started crocheting some hearts.  I made three red ones and three in a dusty rose, embellished them with some buttons and sewed on a brooch pin backing on each one.  I knew I wanted to incorporate these in the Valentines but the rest of the card was up in the air.  


I have to admit, as much as I love paper and the idea of paper crafts, it's not one of my strong suits.  I wanted the cards to be colourful and aside from the heart brooches, I wanted to avoid the typical Valentine colours of pink and red.  And I wanted to avoid using glue.  I carried the button theme on the hearts to the cards with some button print ribbon and button shaped brads, put the Martha Stewart border punch that I bought at Christmas to use, warmed up my old ink jet printer and came up with this:


The small type says :  ... For you to keep and wear or give and share...


The mailing labels are ready, I just need to get some envelopes and then I'll be sending these babies off to some ladies in the States and one in the Netherlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment