Saturday, November 7, 2009

Last Minute

On Tuesday Nugget came home with a birthday party invite from one of her friends at school. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Kids have birthday parties. I assumed the party wasn't for a few days, we could pick up a gift on the weekend. No worries. Well you know what happens when you assume? I don't know. Something about a donkey. It's a stupid American phrase.

Then on Wednesday Nugget said I should call the birthday girl's mom to confirm pick up after school for the party on Friday. After school on Friday... what? Right... I probably should've looked at that invite a little closer. In my mind's eye I did a quick mental scan of my calendar from that moment, Wednesday 7:30 PM to Friday 3PM. So between sleeping, working till 6PM if all goes well in the day, making dinner and Buffy night (not necessarily in that order) there was no freaking way to squeeze in a trip to the mall. What can we get an 8 year old girl at the 24 hour SuperValue? How evil would it be to send Nugget to the party with a loaf of bread, a quart of a milk and a stick of butter?

Then I heard myself say "I'll make her a hat."
Nugget looked at me with what I call the "Duh" face and said, "Uh, the party's on Friday. Are you going to have time?"
I love how she has so much faith in me.
"Sure. I'll start now." And by now I meant after dinner.

So Nugget picked out some yarn from my stash and I started the hat just before Jubbs arrived for our weekly Buffy night. We actually watched an episode of Angel instead of Buffy. It was an episode about a magic stick that made people overly sensitive and made a bunch of cops cry. Then Angel fought some bad guys. It was awesome stuff. I should totally get a job writing the episode synopses for the DVD liners.

After Jubbs left, Rutty and I watched an episode of Six Feet Under and by the time I was ready to go to sleep the majority of the hat was done, I even managed to sew the flower and the ladybug on. Thursday morning I had Nugget try it on and it needed more length so I started crocheting the trim at the bottom. I brought it with me to work and finished it off during my lunch break.

Today when I got home from work I asked Nugget how the party was.
"It was okay."
I asked her if she had fun.
"Yeah."
I asked her if her friend liked her gift.
"I don't know."

Maybe we should've gone with a loaf of bread, a quart of a milk and a stick of butter.



Here's the finished hat. I love the texture of this yarn, I think it's called "Pooch". Kind of feels like those nubby bath mats when it's knitted.
Completed November 5, 2009.

1 comment: