Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Girl on the Poster Behind Nugget's Bedroom Door

Rutty, Uncle Kevin and I had lunch at Red Robin's upstairs on the corner of Robson and Thurlow earlier this afternoon. We walked past the White Spot on our way to the car and I did a double take at a girl sitting inside chomping on a burger. I said "I think that's Selena Gomez from that Wizard show Mika likes." Rutty said, "Yeah, I was going to say that girl looks like that girl from the Wizards of Waverly Place." Oh the influence of children and their taste in television shows. All I could think of was how Nugget would freak out if I got an autograph for her. So I scrambled for a piece of paper in my purse and Uncle Kevin lent me his pen and back to the White Spot we went. What I did next totally went against my "I don't ask people for their autographs" rule. I just don't. But this was for Nugget so it was different. Selena Gomez was sitting at a table with a younger girl, probably a sibling or relative of some sort and beside them at another table was her family. All of them getting their nom-noms on with some White Spot burgers. Awkward. She was very nice and signed the back of a notice from Nugget's school, the only piece of paper I could find, and posed for a photo on Rutty's iPhone. I phoned Nugget, who was having lunch with her dad's side of the family and told her. There was a gasp and then shrieks of "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" before I heard her dad tell her to get off the phone. Kill joy. Nugget quickly said "Okay bye, love you" and hung up. Rutty bought a double frame for Nugget to put the autograph and photo in.


No comments:

Post a Comment